- About Us
- Education Task Force
- Summit of U.S.-Japan Related Organizations
- Working Groups
- Legislative Exchange Summit
- Plenary Sessions
- World Wise: Study Abroad Blog
- Exchanges and Fellowships
- Professional and Volunteer Opportunities
- U.S.-Japan Related Organizations
- Guides to Japan
Summit of U.S.-Japan Legislative Exchange Organizations
January 27, 2012
US CULCON teamed up with the US-Japan Council to host a unique meeting of peer organizations to discuss legislative exchanges on January 27, 2012.
The discussion resulted in the following recommendations on possible ways to collaborate in the future:
• Compile and share a list of legislators and their staff :
- with an interest in Japan and/or participation in an exchange to Japan;
- who should be interested and/or participate?
• Commission a needs assessment for US-Japan legislative exchange;
• Increase sharing of information among group organizations on
- upcoming scheduled programs, receptions, and exchanges;
- reflection and impact of recently completed programs and exchanges;
• Consider joint receptions and legislator meetings for cost-sharing and greater impact;
• Explore the legal intersection of funding and ethics;
• Explore new approaches of funding for staff and member exchanges leveraging our collective influence and resources;
• Consider the addition of Japan to existing legislative trips to other Southeast Asian countries;
• Propose discounted or in-kind airfare for legislative exchanges to the airlines.
The group agreed to reconvene again in May. For further information about this CULCON initiative, please contact: email@example.com.